Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fashion 21 Two Way Cake

I was sent  a loot bag containing local brand makeups from Fashion 21 and Fanny Serrano cosmetics.  I have road tested most of them over the past few weeks and  I decided to launch the first review for the product I like best, so far.  I decided the Fashion 21 Two-way cake with Papaya Extract deserves the first spot.

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this local brand but the instant that I swiped it on the back of my hands, I went "whoah!" for its velvety smooth texture.  For it's dirt-cheap price of Php 185, it wasn't the result I had in mind. It totally caught me by surprise. The next thing I knew, I was looking forward to using it to work.




For the first few days of trying it on, I took note that the coverage was moderate to heavy. There were times I would glance at the mirror while driving, and thought to myself that I looked "made-up." I normally wear mineral makeup for foundation because it looks natural and feels light on my skin, so it took some time getting used to a two-way cake foundation on my face. But then this was a good thing for my scar-ridden skin. Fashion 21 Two-way cake smoothened my complexion like miracle although I still needed a few dabs of concealer powder for a perfect finish. It felt light even if the coverage was on the heavy side.



Two way foundations are called as such because they can be either applied as is (dry) or with a damp sponge. The latter yields heavier coverage which can lead to a mask-like effect if not done properly. So far, I haven't tried applying it wet although I use it over  liquid foundation.

Apart from the texture that earns my approval, I love its oil-control properties! It's been a while since I used a foundation that tamed my  facial oil factory. I work at one clinic in the morning and drive for about half an hour to another one in the afternoon. There are times I hardly have time for touch-ups. Once, I rushed to my afternoon work without applying oil blotting agents or powder and found that my face wasn't as oily as expected.

I can't attest that it won't cause breakouts coz I had some zits (mild, not cystic ones that usually terrorize my skin) on my forehead after a few days of using it. The powder has very mild scent. I usually get breakouts when a cosmetic has scent. It can either be  due to the  powder or my crazy hormones and idiosyncratic reactions. I can't conclude which caused it.

Papaya supposedly functions to brighten the skin. Indeed, I feel that my skin is brighter whenever I use this. But then it could be due to the shade of the powder that they sent me. It was in shade 2. Fashion 21 Two-Way Cake with Papaya Extract comes in 4 shades, with #1 being the lightest. I think 2 is slightly light for  me although after oxidation (acidic skin that darkens the makeup), it suits just right.

Summing it up, I'm  highlighting its strong and weak points:

Pros:

  • smooth velvety texture

  • superb oil-control

  • scent is very mild and not annoying

  • feels light on the skin

  • not chalky nor cakey

  • finely milled powder

  • UV protection

  • brightens skin

  • very affordable: Php185

  • refills available

Cons



  • has tendency to look heavy and  unnatural- solution: apply lightly, choose best shade
  • packaging that screams "I'm only Php185!"


Overall, this product should be included in our "cheaper but effective makeups" list.

Rating: 8/10

Fashion 21 Two-Way Cake with Papaya is available for Php 185 only at leading department stores and online through Weemall, the Philippine Online Shopping Mall.





2 comments:

  1. I personally use F21, Two-Way Cake with Tea tree oil and i love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im using fashion21 products for 8 years and its really amazing!!

    ReplyDelete