Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Geishock



Last Saturday, we had a Japanese-themed photoshoot with multi-faceted artist Bon Aserios. The photo session was his birthday gift to Audrey, our model. Thanks to his recommendations, Audrey contacted me to be her makeup artist for this shoot.

Audrey has a thing for everything Japanese, hence she requested for the Geisha look. Bon also suggested another design inspired by Sarah Meier's prenup pics which we incorporated in the chosen theme. The colorful splatter gave the Geisha a modern twist, hence the name "Geishock" or "Geishuck," if we take it after Audrey's chucks.

Traditionally, geisha makeup is done using a wax or oil base called bintsuke-abura followed by the application (using bamboo brush) of a white powder mixed with water to a pasty consistency. The white makeup (oshiroi) originally contained lead and mercury, which are toxic substances to the body. Zinc and titanium dioxide later replaced the hazardous ingredients.

The essential colors in a Geisha makeup are white, red and black. To whiten the skin, I used the Kryolan Aqua Color in white using a damp sponge. Ben Nye Azalea eye shadow on top of Nyx Electra were dabbed on the outer corner of the eyes. Nyx Electra alone rendered the puckered lips a vivid red color.

For the splattered look,  I used the 24 shimmer palette, which contains subdued, pretty pastel shades. It would have been bolder had I used the Kryolan aqua colors beneath it. Note to self: get Ben Nye's other Lumiere Grande eyeshadows.


Here are some shots taken by photographer Bon Aserios. For more of his fresh, funky works, please visit his website at http://bonserios.com.

Thanks to my Mom for doing the hairstyling and my hubby for carrying my heavy tools. Thanks also to Audrey and her family who are the coolest people to get to know.Her cousin, Stephanie served us Wasabi chips ( which went with the theme) for snack during our shoot at the Flores Orchidarium.
























MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

12 comments:

  1. thanks doc! as usual, its always nice to work with one of the greats in the make up industry...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bon. These are powershots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! I have always wanted to try the geisha make up but never had the chance. I like how the red lipstick finishes the look. You have a very informative blog for vain girls like me! :)
    - Kaith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kaith! It was my first time to try the geisha makeup and I realized blending the white stuff using a water- based paint takes some practice. Thanks for the compliment. Do drop by often for more tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heeeyyyy, didn't know Mommy was in on game! Say Hi to your Mom for me. Didn't know she's fashionsita as well, hehehehe! Guess your "inclinations" have to come from somewhere and so there you go!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ice: yes, she's often my hairstylist during gigs. she did my hair during the wedding. :) my mom's the original kikay, she studied hairstyling at realistic beauty school before. i just inherited the ka-kikayan. :P will send out your regards to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Doc..=D
    loved my make-up..and so did everyone else..=)

    my cousin might be contacting you soon..*wink*
    more power..=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Audrey. Thanks a lot! Glad you liked the makeup. Good luck on your modeling career. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] permitted me to post some of his shots. Bon is the same photographer I worked with during the Geisha shoot we did about 2 weeks [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] growing stash. The 24 Shimmer Palette consists of 24 pretty shimmery pastel colors that I used in one of my shoots. The shades may not be as pigmented as they look on the palette so forget about this if [...]

    ReplyDelete
  11. [...] look with a pop. My favorites are the blue, teal and green shades. I used this palette for the Geishock shoot, and the pastel shimmery effects suited our cute [...]

    ReplyDelete
  12. [...] Carrot is the name of the bride that I dolled up recently, and the cousin of Audrey from the Geisha shoot.  She was raised in Cagayan de Oro but is presently based in Manila. What makes her different [...]

    ReplyDelete