Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rx: Maalox For Oily Skin

I read on discussion forums online, that this medication for hyperacidity can actually work wonders as a skin mattifier. The Tyra Banks show featured the use of milk of magnesia as the solution to the perennial problem of oily skin. Milk of magnesia consists of Magnesium hydroxide.Maalox is a local brand name for a medication containing Aluminum Magnesium hydroxide. Aluminum OH provides the added benefit of shriking pores These are in fact ingredients of some cosmetics including concealers.

A lot of makeup junkies swear by this DIY remedy. Maalox can be used as toner by applying it to the skin after washing with cleanser. It should remain on the skin for several minutes before it is rinsed off. Another use is enabling makeup to stay put for several hours, Maalox can be applied thinly to the skin as a primer. It is important that very thin layer is applied as it dry up to a chalky consistency afterwards. Others are even using it as an eyehadow primer to prevent creasing.

Being an oilspill myself, I roadtested it today, in lieu of my regular primer. The control of oiliness was good. I'm just not too sure if it's due to the Maalox or the Aubrey Nicole Rice finishing powder which arrived in the mail today. As a bonus, the zit on my nose dried up a bit. Since its an antacid, I wonder if will do additional good to my acidic skin, which darkens makeup after oxidation.However, there was a little whitish cast which may not be good for photography.

Promising, huh? An alternative to expensive primers that are not available here in cdo, anyway. I am a loyal mineral makeup user as these are my best options for oily skin. The addition of an effective primer should do the trick. On the downside, i'm not sure if it's wise to use this on a regular basis as it can be drying. Not good for dry or aging skin.The feedback mechanism of the body could also cause rebound oiliness. I don't want to look at the mirror a week after to see an aged/ dehydrated yet oilier face looking back at me. Moderation is the key, I guess.

Studies have not been reported as to its safety on the skin so try it at your own risk. It would be safe to do a patch test for allergies on the anterior surface of the forearm before putting it on your face.

3 comments:

  1. hi! i love your blogs! i have always loved make-up but didn't have the guts to go for it as a passion because of the high expectations my elders had on me. nevertheless, i still turned them down...now i'm a bs psych undergrad who also had dreams of becoming a doctor before, but is already a mom/wife and just had to place my own dreams in the backseat while working in a call center...for now. anyway, i really admire you! ...for the cancer struggle, to being a doctor, to being the talented artist that you are!

    anyway, about primers and mineral make-up..i don't know if you heard about barenaturals primer or if you ever purchase mineral make-up from online sellers here in the philippines. if you haven't you might be interested to know about the ellana minerals, luminare, monave, bare escentuals and barenaturals mmu sold on these websites:

    addictedtominerals.multiply.com
    beautyandminerals.multiply.com
    beautypod.multiply.com
    barebeautyonline.com

    payment done through gcash and bank account deposits and shipping to manila/luzon takes at least 1-3days. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...btw, i was able to check on your links...and you may have probably learned about the websites i gave you 'coz they're in some of them...anyway, God bless! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying for years to find the right moisturizer for my skin, which despite being super oily and prone to breakouts, dries up and flakes in certain areas. It's been so severe that I have not been able to wear make-up, because it would just accentuate it.

    From the first day I used the Vitamin Enhanced Moisturizer (from the Made from Earth skincare line), the problem was eradicated. It was heavy but NOT oily, and the dry spots were gone! Not only that, but my skin was wonderfully clear and soft.

    After I ran out of this, I tried using a more expensive Estee Lauder cream, and the dryness was back in a few days. Yes, the price tag is a bit steep, and as some reviewers have mentioned, but its is HYPOallergic and worth it to avoid any reactions - perfect for those of us like me with ULTA sensitive skin.

    Definitely give it a try is you have tried everything and nothing seems to work - This moisturizer is well worth looking into!

    ReplyDelete