Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lights, Camera, Makeup!

DSC_0198
After years of lusting for a make up artist chair, I finally have one! It was on my wishlist last Christmas and Santa decided to send it through snail mail, thus reaching my destination on Valentines day. Ok , it wasn’t Santa. It was my hubby who gave it to me as a Valentine’s present after listening to my constant rantings on how my back hurts after every makeup gig. Sweet.

I ordered my makeup artist chair from Suesh, my favorite supplier of makeup artist tools, known for their superior yet affordable brushes. I got it for Php 5000 (about $106) which isn’t bad because these kinds of chairs in Quiapo are sold for around Php 4000. The courier cost was Php 620 from Manila to CDO through AP Cargo. What I like best about Suesh is that they’re open to suggestions. I asked about the possible shipping cost from their usual courier and they said it might take a little over than Php 1000. I suggested AP Cargo and Suesh immediately called them up to inquire about the shipping rates, which as expected, was a lot cheaper. I received my order a day after. Quick, right? AP Cargo used air instead of ocean freight to deliver my package.

The framework is made up of wood while the seat and back canvas have to be inserted to it. At first I doubted the capacity of the chair to hold an average client sitting on it. But then I tested it on my hubby and my mom and it went fine. To be safe, don’t use it on obese clients. I have my chair and canvas in all black but I can change the color of the seat and back anytime through the canvas available at Amazon for only $9. I saw one in purple and another in red. I really think I need an alternate canvas because the texture is prone to collect powders and other make ups falling off.

My problem now is its portability. Although it can fit in the car trunk folded, attaching the piece near the foot can be cumbersome. From the time we assembled it, we didn’t fold it up again because the foot piece is difficult to remove and even harder to put back. It needs some screwing and unscrewing, which would take a lot of time if you’re on a gig. It’s kinda bulky bringing it fully assembled although it’s not that heavy. I don’t think I can bring it when I’m alone coz it would ruin my poise to carry this big thing around. I might be offered a job at the sea port when somebody sees me lifting it over my head.

I guess the chair is great for home studio, or if you have people who can lift if for you, or if you’re a male makeup artist. But I’m still glad I have the chair now. It doubles as a director’s chair so if I’m not doing makeup, writing, or attending to patients, I’d probably be out somewhere living out my fantasies as a movie director.. err.. for wholesome flicks, of course.

This post is brought to us by design furniture

2 comments:

  1. That's a really cute and practical chair. And you got it for a reasonable price, too.

    ReplyDelete