Sunday, August 28, 2011

Canon Photomarathon 2011 Mindanao Leg

When I heard of the Canon Photomarathon 2011 Mindanao leg being held in Cagayan de Oro, I instantly got excited about it even if I didn't know what it was about. I just shifted to a Canon DSLR this year so I haven't been in the know of the past Canon activities. Part of me was scared that it had to take some athletic skills, as the term marathon suggested some degree  of physical fitness. I quickly googled it and learned that it was a fun annual event attended by photographers from Luzon, Vizayas, and Mindanao that involves shooting for the whole day. In Asia (apart from the Philippines), there are even bigger Canon Photomarathon events where the prizes include a trip to Australia to attend a photo clinic.

Last year's Canon Photomarathon Mindanao leg was held in Davao. Now that they picked Cagayan de Oro as its destination for the Mindanao leg, I made sure to sign up for it as it changes cities for its destinations every year. The only place constant is Manila where thousands of participants flock to the event.


Even if I knew that it would be attended by rabid photographers who live and breathe photography, I still wanted to join. Professional photographers, serious hobbyists, and amateurs alike are expected to bring out their intimidating canon gears. I knew that winning in it was like hitting the lotto jackpot with my newbie skills and inexpensive lens, but the fun and experience of it was hard to miss. Plus, the free lunch, snacks and dinner would save me from cooking for this day.

The Canon Photomarathon 2011 in CDO was successfully held yesterday, August 27, 2011 at the Limketkai Center Atrium.Some people traveled from Davao, Iligan, Pagadian, etc to join the Mindanao leg. We were provided with shirts and caps to use during the event for identification. We were free to shoot anywhere, as long as we return to the Atrium within the time limit to upload our best shots for the designated theme. There were three themes that we had to interpret throughout the day, with 2 and a half hours budget for each. Post-processing was not allowed except for built-in editing tools within the camera. It was called a photomarathon because it tested our endurance for a day of shooting under the scorching heat of the sun or while getting soaked in the rain.


The first theme was:
" The people of this golden friendship city, inherent and traditional traits. Camaraderie and hospitality. The Beauty of this golden glimpse."

Second theme:
" The golden blessings that glow and behold to this city of the river of gold. Like the confessions of His love and passion. You will deeply cross this rare Kagay-anon."

Third theme:
" A city considered as a melting pot in Mindanao, where modern lifestyle and booming economy arise. With the goal of nature preservation for future generation. They put eco-tourism as the core of it's tourism attraction."

I'd rather not bore you with my entries for each theme in the DSLR category coz I realized they suck. But I was thrilled that two of my husband's entries to the point and shoot category made it to the top 9, and one of it placed 2nd runner up in the said category. I didn't want to go to the event alone, I had to convince my husband to come along. My old compact Canon, the Ixus 55 has  long retired so I bought him an affordable Canon Powershot A2200 just so he could come with me. We never knew it would be his winning gear. He's not really passionate about photography as much as I am, but I'm guessing the win will spark up interest in him.

Here are his entries which made it to the top:

For theme 1:


For theme 2, which won the 2nd runner up in the Point and Shoot Category:


It sure was an exhausting event but nonetheless fun, especially with the ongoing city fiesta parade. As for me and my husband, we only went away from Limketkai during the second theme, in which we headed to San Agustin Cathedral. Although we brought a car, we took a taxi, taking cue from " The Amazing Race" to get there quicker and not to be bothered where to park when we come back because Limketkai Mall was more packed than usual.


In the first theme, the energy was up, we kept shooting to our hearts' content. But towards the afternoon, especially on the 3rd theme, we got really tired and went back to the site much earlier and submitted whatever we had, whether or not it had potential for winning.

We had pictures printed at the Canon Pixma station where each participant is entitled to one print out.  While waiting for the results of the competition, the hosts gave away prizes for games.There were loads of prizes given out. I just wished that they also gave at least a pen to the top 9 finalists (aside from the recognition of being up on stage) for each category because it wasn't an easy feat to be chosen in a sea of amazing photographers from Mindanao.


If you're from Visayas, Luzon, and NCR, be sure to join the upcoming Canon Photomarathon events in your area. Have fun and don't take the challenges too seriously.  Otherwise, the pressure might eat you up. It's anybody's game at the Canon Photomarathon. You can be a newbie like my husband and still win.  Bring  along your spouse or kids as it can be a great bonding time with them. With or without prizes, you're sure to bring home new experiences, memories captured, and do i need to mention, freebies?


The youngest shooter with her dad, awarded with Canon Freebies


Check out these following dates:

Tagbilaran City Bohol (Visayas)- September 3
Vigan City, Ilocos Sur (North Luzon)- September 10
Legazpi City, Bicol (South Luzon)- September 24
Metro Manila- To be announced

You may register at the http://www.canon.com.ph/photomarathon2011/. Hurry coz the slots tend to fill out quickly, but be patient with the registration if you don't get in initially. My hubby had trouble registering so I had to come back often to finally sign him up. Stay tuned for my next post where I will be featuring the winners for each category.

 

3 comments:

  1. [...] a comment As promised on my previous post on the Canon Marathon 2011 Mindanao Leg, here are the photo entries of  finalists for both the point and shoot and DSLR categories. Pardon [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis Nueva EspañaOctober 29, 2011 at 4:29 AM

    ang hirap mag online registration, tpos bglang close hay.....naku!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis Nueva EspañaOctober 29, 2011 at 4:33 AM

    sana may chance pa kami mga walk-in sa nov. 12 hehehe... salamat po!

    ReplyDelete