Friday, March 26, 2010

Sheer Cover Mineral Foundation

I got the Sheer Cover kit as a gift from my friend Malou when she came home from the US last December for a visit.  I’ve been a mineral makeup convert for more than 3 years now, you bet I tried quite a handful of brands from the US  as well as those from local manufacturers. From the pricey to the more affordable ones, some were awesome while others were so-so. I still have a couple of unopened jars to this day so when this was given to me, I intended to keep it unopened until I finish the ones in my stash. The Sheer Cover kit has other contents in a bag, including concealer, moisturizer, mascara, lip gloss, and brushes, but I’ll start with a review of its star product, the mineral foundation.

DSC_0389 copy





Judging from its name, I reckoned the coverage was thin and not enough for my oily and acne-ravaged skin type.  I was thinking it was similar to Bare Escentuals, its strongest competitor in the market. BE has nice texture and oil control properties, but has sparkly ingredients that settle in acne pits, accentuating the flaws as "twinkling scars," which could rival Edward Cullen’s sparkling appearance under the sun.  One day I decided to give the Sheer Cover foundation a try and boy, I was in for a surprise!

I was never this amazed when I applied any mineral foundation on my skin. Compared to Bare Escentuals, it’s got its smooth texture, with a little more coverage and minus the starry, starry face. I think it still has some iridescent elements but not enough to highlight my scars. The shade I got was nude under the light category, which suits me fine. With its patented True Shade technology.it’s supposed to allow minerals to work with your skin’s natural oils and blend with your color, so that’s probably why it matches me well, though I would have opted for a shade with yellow undertones.  Dissecting its performance, these are my observations:

Pros:

  • Superb texture that makes skin look smooth

  • Coverage is good: evens out skin tone and covers minor imperfections yet feels light. It is buildable, too

  • Oil control is good (while it lasts)

  • Does not shine on acne pits

  • Minimal caking tendencies

  • No break-outs

  • Contains soothing, anti-aging botanicals called Green Rooibos tea

  • Has sun protection:  SPF-15

  • No preservatives,oils, perfumes, dyes, or talc


Cons:

  • Relatively expensive: For $29.95, it has to come with a kit which you might not need and it contains only 4g of the powder. Afterwards, you’ll have to be “subscribed” to receive a kit every 90 days at the same price.

  • No option to buy the powder alone

  • I wish it lasts longer (though its longevity is better than traditional pressed powders)

  • SPF can show a white cast on flash photography


This is currently my holy grail foundation. My other mineral powders are  taking a backseat ever since I discovered this. I’m just worried once I’d run out of it because I’d have to be a member to avail of the discounted price of $29.95 per kit. They do have a distributor in the Philippines (sheercover.ph) but the price is Php 4,995 (around $106) per kit for a 90 day supply and Php 2495 (around $53) for a 30 day supply. Sheesh.. with that price, I think  I’ll have to scout for a new holy grail that doesn’t cost as much. I love it but with the numerous mineral makeup brands sprouting everywhere, I'm sure there'll be a good alternative somewhere.
skin id

3 comments:

  1. I ordered off infomerical a 36.65 trial kit of sheer cover. After 30 days and not receiving it I inquired website. Was told it takes up to six weeks for delivery. I said to cancel my order but was told "I could try it for 30 days." they gave only generic vague answers. After several minutes on hold I spoke to CSP who told me next shippment was due in a few days. Wait! I hadn't received 1st shipment.
    I emailed and called again. Finally refusing it when it came more than five weeks later. To date they have not credited my account stating they have not received it. They additionally charged me another 36.65 stating it would be 3 !! installments. I cancelled my c/c. Have a dispute filed with my bank and reported them to BBB. I am just skimming the jist of my experience with Sheer Cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's really sad to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have that problem. I ordered on a Friday and received my kit the next Wednesday. I got it in, what, five days. Although if you do order and plan on keeping it, create an account at their website so you can change the frequency you get it and what you receive. I changed mine from the 6 piece to a 4 piece of what I wanted and will save about $30.00 each time.

    ReplyDelete