Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Analyzing Color Schemes

This is an analysis of the makeup I did during a photo shoot a few months ago. I had the easiest time prettifying my already beautiful model Paola. To make a pleasantly shocking turn from her preppy style, I did a colorful variant of the Arabic makeup.  I don't know how to call it exactly but the photographers gave me the liberty to work my thing and this is how it turned out:



Going back to our lesson in color theory, the eye makeup popped out with the right choice of color combinations. The main color in this design is hot pink ( a tint of red) which is accentuated by adding its complementary color, green, in the outer corner of the eyes. Yellow, which is analogous to green, further adds to the drama.  The white was meant to add a gradient effect to the hot pink by blending it upwards. White is not a part of the color wheel as it is produced by the absence of colors.

To balance the outrageous eyes, I chose a pale pink lipstick using Nyx Strawberry combined with Nyx Paris.

Here are the eyeshadows for the curtain call:

  • Ben Nye Azalea (hot pink)

  • Elianto Green

  • Shu Uemura ME Yellow

  • Mac Gesso (white)


This is an addition to the previous article on examples of color schemes.

Hope you enjoyed this look.

non 12 step

4 comments:

  1. WOW, I must say you're really, really good at blending eyeshadow impeccably! I'm quite impressed, and envious at the same time. One of my frustrations is eye shadow blending. It's weird that I can blend pastels well on canvass, but I just can't blend eye shadows into such dramatic (gradient) effect. :(

    Now, this makes me more interested to formally enroll into some makeup school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Roanne! Thanks for the positive comments :) Actually, I can't paint on canvas. I can't even pull off a decent face chart while I was still in makeup school. :P I envy your skills.

    It would be an advantage to have some background in painting when you go into makeup artistry. Don't worry, with some practice you'll get the hang of it.

    And yeah, you've got a nice blog going. Nice to find vanity buddies online :) Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...you got me convinced there. :P I used to do oil painting on canvas and a bit of pastel painting but that was a long time ago. I'm actually not sure f I could still pull off the same skills, esp in the area of makeup artistry, should I go to a makeup school today.

    Nice to stumble upon your blog as well. And, congrats for winning PBA btw! :D

    ReplyDelete