Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So Long, President Cory Aquino



One of the greatest women in the world's history, our former President Cory Aquino, will be laid to rest tomorrow.In my own little way, I'd like to honor through this blog, a beautiful woman who has lead an exemplary life.

The EDSA revolution, also hailed as the People Power revolution happened in 1986 when I barely understood its historical significance. All I knew was that the Filipino people found a new hero in President Cory Aquino. She was highly esteemed for restoring the country's democracy from the dictatorship of the Marcos regime, taking after the cause left by her husband Ninoy who was killed in 1983. At my young age, I caught the "Cory fever" together with the entire nation. I was a Cory kid who wore yellow shirts and danced to "Tie a yellow ribbon." Yellow, being her symbolic color during the campaign for presidency. Much has been spoken about her greatness. I remember President Cory earning the adulation of people from all over the world because of her leadership steering the the Philippines to a peaceful revolution. Her modesty, strong faith, purity of intentions, and integrity, were most admirable. In January 1987, she was named as the TIME Magazine's Woman Of The Year.  She brought so much honor to our race that she became my icon.

In these difficult times of our country being plagued with controversies, corruption, dishonesty, and lack of discipline by my fellowmen, it becomes hard to honestly utter the words "I am proud to be a Filipino."  However, remembering the times of President Cory leading the EDSA revolution renews my sense of pride. She is the most inspiring Filipina that my generation has been fortunate to know. A soft-spoken woman yet powerfully- moving leader who can influence her people to take conscientious action.

When she was diagnosed with colon cancer a year ago, I asked myself, "why her?"  It would have been easier to accept if cancer only afflicted shady characters. Unfortunately, being a cancer patient myself, I can't offer an explanation as to how one is chosen to suffer from it, aside from the medically plausible phenomena of heredity and environment. Knowing her age, I knew it would be a harder battle for her. I prayed that she will be blessed with the strength to fight on. I trusted that with the medical advances today, something can be done to save her. For some reason, cancer was bitchier than ever. President Cory continued to be ravaged by it despite her adherence to the treatment protocols. On August 1, 2009, her battle was over. I've been crying my heart out thinking of all the pain she must have gone through. She has suffered enough by losing her husband to political prison and ultimately, to assassination. Several years later, cancer had come to challenge and claim her. I would normally question God for these turn of events but President Cory was different. She accepted her sufferings wholeheartedly as a sacrificial offering to God and her country.

Along with the nation, I grieve for her loss. I can only take solace in the fact that she has moved to a much better place now after living an accomplished, meaningful life. Her spirit will soar, free from all the pain. The image of her being happily reunited with her husband beyond death should comfort the grief being felt by the people she left behind. May Ninoy and Cory continue their love story in heaven which has been traumatically cut by harsh circumstances here on earth.

Tomorrow, as you are laid to rest, I join the rest of the Filipinos in expressing their gratitude to you, the mother of democracy. We will celebrate your life and pass on your legacy. You have my highest respect, Madame President. Your beautiful heart and soul were God's gift to us. Thank you for being such a blessing to the Philippines. May the other heroes and all the saints usher you to your place in heaven and the angels serenade you to your path to eternal life.

1 comment:

  1. i give my Condolence to the Aquino family for the death of the former president Corazon Aquino. she is one of the worlds notable icon in the struggle for Democracy and Freedom.

    ReplyDelete