Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dear Santa, I Need A High Chair

One of the dilemmas of a make-up artist is having terrible back pains after a gig. We hardly engage in strenuous activities during an event, except for carrying heavy traincases, but the after effects we suffer are similar to being pinned down in a sumo wrestling match (not that I did any wrestling in the past). The pain has to do with all the bending and straining of the back when the client is seated in an ordinary chair. We have to move closer to her face to achieve our desired results. A few hours after, the muscle pain sets in. And you thought our job was easy. Part of our earnings should go to health savings account because of these risks.

Wearing flats and putting pillows on the chair are just not enough. Ideally, the make-up artist chair or high chair is used to prevent this problem. The other day, a client went to our house for prenup make-up and I used the high chair which comes with the mini-bar set at home. The whole process went smoothly, without any back-breaking moves. This is how I want my gigs to go- painless. Unfortunately, the high chair at home cannot fit into the car trunk and I don’t see myself bringing furniture around town. I need a portable type.



About 2 years ago, I saw some makeup artist chairs sold in multiply. It was Php7000. The shipping to my place would surely cost more. My classmate in makeup school told me that they are also available in Quiapo for a cheaper price. Still, the transit cost is a problem. The only solution I could think of is to hire a carpenter and have him follow the design in the picture. If only we had the right materials to copy the lightness of the structure. The last thing I want is another tool heavier than my traincase. After all, I am a make up artist, not a body builder. Unless Santa has plans of enlisting me into the next Ms. Iron Body Contest, I hope he grants my wish for this Christmas. Well, if he could throw in a Flip camera for vlogging along with the high chair, that would be nice. Ok, ok, Santa, I know I’m getting on your nerves. If you could find me well-paying gigs so I could buy my own toys, that would be good enough, thanks!

8 comments:

  1. hehehe! when i saw the link, i thought you were looking for the baby high-chair kind and immediately clicked it as i was planning to sell ours...

    anyway, if i find an affordable assemble-it-yourself kit for a high chair in quiapo, i'll definitely let you know! :) my hubby sent speakers to CDO and it didn't really cost that much

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, i don't need a baby's high chair for now. :P

    yes please let me know if you find stores in Quiapo that sell it.
    thanks! what courier did your hubby use for the shipping of speakers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LBC! he sold altec 5.1 speakers which was very heavy and it only cost 1400 to be shipped to cdo...i believe LBC's got the lowest rates for domestic packages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dokie, i got an idea. im gonna find a shop who can customize a chair for us. so we both order para we can get a higher discount? watchatenk? ;-)

    SOrry if i wasnt able to accompany you with the last stint. My mom took a fancy on having a vacation in the hospital. At my financial expense...but of course! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now i need to search the net on the specs of each chair so we know which folds first and where. basing on the photos the materials would just vary on the kind of wood we would want and canvass fabric the least. (just like what movie directors use)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jim, that's a great idea. It should cost less than Php4000 because that's the price in Quiapo. Otherwise, we can always order some from that place. In amazon, they have the metal structure and canvas sold separately. Quite affordable but the shipping cost to the Philippines can get ridiculously high.

    No problem about the last gig. There are still rakets to come but your mom is the only one you got. It's good to know that she's fine now :)

    ReplyDelete