Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Think Pink


This post may be a little delayed as it is already the 7th day. October is celebrated as the breast cancer awareness month. Breast cancer a condition that I had 3 years ago. Sometimes I don't want to remember it hence I don't actively participate in events or discuss it that much. I want to live a normal life without speaking "woundology" or becoming a poster girl of the disease.

However, I feel that I have a responsibility to educate people about the disease, being a medical professional and a patient at the same time. It can happen to just about anyone with or without a family history of cancer. I didn't have it in my lineage but it did affect me. The good thing about it is it doesn't have to be a death sentence if detected earlier.

Websites are going pink for this month to advocate breast cancer awareness. I'd like to show my support by mentioning it through this post. Being a beauty blog, this message should reach population greatly afflicted with the health issue: women.

Here are some helpful tips for preventing cancer from creeping into your lives:

1. Have the right mindset- Pessimism is a deadly habit. Have a cheerful, positive disposition in life and cancer is not going to like it. It harbors on a depressive, worried and confused body.

2. Eat healthy- go easy on animal products especially fat contents. Cancer likewise feeds on sugar.  Fruits and veggies provide you with anti-oxidants to fight free radicals not only to prevent cancer but also give you a healthy, glowing skin.

3. Load up on Water. Unless you have an impaired renal function, hydrating your body will do you a lot of good.

4. Get adequate sleep. I quit my previous job because of the 24 hour duties. You have to give your body time to recharge and your cells to heal from daily toxin exposure.

5. No smoking, alcoholic beverage intake and late night outs. In other words, don't abuse your body.

All of the above were crimes I committed save for smoking and alcohol drinking. See where it got me.

Several companies are supporting the cause to fund research and help patients who cannot afford the costly treatments. Locally, Avon is constantly supporting breast cancer groups and events like "walk for a cause." Internationally, Sephora is donating proceeds from sales of selected pink products. Several beauty blogs are likewise giving their support by giving $1 for every comment you make on particular posts.

Stay healthy, people!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment